Thursday, January 12, 2012

The messenger


A few months ago I decided to make a raven fairy godmother and although I liked the way she came out, I was never crazy about her. A lot of people liked her but she never found a new home. I have learned over the years to go with my inner feeling and decided to make her into a different doll. It came to me when I was at one of the craft shows here in Fairbanks. A woman came up to me and while she looked at my dolls displayed on the table whispered: " you are a very brave person......don't you know that ravens are the messengers from the other side" Tha's when I knew I was going to change fairy godmother into "the Messenger"
I have always been fascinated by these incredible birds but never knew how special they are until one day a few years ago. I had just moved to a new area.  Beautiful Two Rivers, Alaska. I was living on 80 acres. Behind our property nothing but thousands of acres of state land with miles and miles of trails. One beautiful day I took the dogs for a nice long walk in the woods. Some how during this walk I realized that I was no longer on the trail and I had no idea where I was. Everything looked the same. It was getting dark and I was really getting worried. Then I heard a raven calling high up in a tree.
I still don't know why, but I decided to follow this raven but I did and to my surprise after about an half hour walk I ended back on trail and was able to make my way home. Maybe someone on the other side was worried about me and used the raven to make sure I would get home safe.
The messenger comes from far you bring us messages from the other side, all we have to do is open our heart and listen.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that story, and I love The Messenger. Ravens are one of my favorite birds too. I love to hear them call to each other and cackle and trill. I stood under a tree making raven noises - and getting responses - for almost a half hour one day earlier this winter. I wondered if he understood or was thinking "this human is crazy".

    ReplyDelete

Overkill

Overkill
When people move to Alaska, they must feel the need to wear as much fur as they possibly can.